The form on this site allows you to input design information about a round HSS column and calculate which sections are acceptable. Calculations are performed using the equations in the Canadian Standards Association standard CSA S16-14 Design of Steel Structures. Clauses 11, 13.5 and 13.6 are applied in the calculations.
- Dimensions and section properties are based on CSA G40.21, not ASTM A500.
- The axial capacity calculations are based on the Class C equations.
- Fy is the yield strength of the steel section in MPa. Fy must be between 100 and 1000.
- kx and ky are the effective length factors for compression about the x and y axes. kx and ky must be greater than 0.1.
- Lx and Ly are the unbraced lengths about the x and y axes. Lx and Ly must be greater than 0.1.
- Cf is the factored applied axial load in kN. Cf must be greater than 1.
- Mfx is the factored applied moment about the x axis in kN m. Mfx must be greater than 1.
- Ireqd is the required strong axis moment inertia required to meet the deflection limitations for the column. Ireqd must be greater than 0.1.
- ω2 is the bending moment gradient factor defined in clause 13.6(a). ω2 must be between 1.0 and 2.5.
Although no effort has been spared in an attempt to ensure that numerical values are accurate to a degree consistent with current structural design practice, the author and owner of this site do not assume responsibility for errors or oversights resulting from use of the information contained herein. Anyone making use of this site assumes all liability arising from such uses.
Copyright (c) 2018 Mark Lasby
199total visits,1visits today